It's no secret that I am a feline enthusiast. I actually love all animals (well, all of the cute fuzzy ones), but I've always had a particular affinity for cats. And there is NOTHING in the world more precious than a kitten. Sometimes I worry that my interest in cats borders on obsession. But I never worry for long =)
I think this is because I want to be like a cat, which is funny, because I've always had more of a puppy personality. Dogs need constant attention, lots of food, and they make you clean up the sh*t they leave exposed all over your back yard. Dogs whine. They yap. They cling. They drool. They GROVEL. You have to wake up at 6 in the morning to let them out.
CATS, on the other hand, don't really need anybody. They give affection on their own terms, on their own time. Cats are independent and clever, and they keep themselves clean and pretty. They never over-do anything, and when they get sleepy, they simply curl up in one of the cozy spots they've sealed off for themselves, and snooze in sunbeams for hours on end. Conversely, a cat is adventurous and loves to explore. It can entertain itself indefinitely, finding amusement out of the simplest of pleasures... like a grape, for instance. Or maybe even a pencil. 
Additionally, cats are beautiful and they know it. No games. No pretending. No groveling. They don't care what anyone else thinks and express their emotions as they wish. They can purr, but they know when to bring out the claws..no one can mess with a kitty! Cats confidently mind their own business and don't go around sniffing anyone else's behind. Plus, their affection is equally sincere as any dog's... minus the drool. And you can cuddle with them and not smell bad afterwards. YAY!
As Mark Twain said: "Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man but deteriorate the cat." And we all know Mark Twain was a pretty smart dude. =)
More cat quotes and pictures of my current kitty [and BFF] Annie!
"If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
- Mark Twain
"Dogs come when they're called. Cats take a message and get back to you."
- Mary Bly
"I simply can't resist a cat, particularly a purring one. They are the cleanest, cunningest, and most intelligent things I know."
- Abroad with Mark Twain and Eugene Field, Fisher
"Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow. "
- Jeff Valdez
"The smallest feline is a masterpiece."
- Leonardo da Vinci
"You will always be lucky if you know how to make friends with strange cats."
- Colonial American Proverb (I must be SO lucky!!!)
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Unknown
"The cat has too much spirit to have no heart."
- Ernest Menaul
"There are few things in life more heartwarming than to be welcomed by a cat."
- Tay Hohoff
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
- Winston Churchill (HAHA)
4 comments:
I think I'm a cat in personality, but I like dogs more. Does that make sense?
- Joddie
cats are pretty bitchy...so are kats.
anyway, i found this picture of you floating around the internet:
http://www.prisonart.org/artwork/color_pencil/photos/norman_willhoite_cat_woman.JPG
Ha, I just discovered this. Anyhow, I must respond in defense of Dogs. I don't blame you for your anti-canine bias, I suppose the virtues of the dogs are only wholly appreciated by the masculine gender (ha- blatant sexism!) And by the way, you selectively quoted Mark Twain on the subject. Here's to aspirations of being more dog-like, and not worrying so much about letting a little drool fly.
P.S. glad to see that this is what you've found to do at work all day.
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around." - Cowboy Wisdom
"A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down." - Robert Benchley
" Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one." - Anonymous
"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anonymous
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." - Robert Louis Stevenson
"If you eliminate smoking and gambling, you will be amazed to find that almost all an Englishman's pleasures can be, and mostly are, shared by his dog." - George Bernard Shaw
"A man, a horse, and a dog are never weary of each other's company" - 18th century
"Everyone needs a spiritual guide: a minister, rabbi, counselor, wise friend, or therapist. My own wise friend is my dog. He has deep knowledge to impart. He makes friends easily and doesn't hold a grudge. He enjoys simple pleasures and takes each day as it comes. Like a true Zen master he eats when he is hungry and sleeps when he is tired. He's not hung up about sex. Best of all, he befriends me with an unconditional love that human beings would do well to imitate." - Gary Kowalski in The Souls of Animals
"The dog is mentioned in the Bible eighteen times -- the cat not even once." - W. E. Farbstein
LOL to robert.
he did his research.
Post a Comment