Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Let's laser some corneas!

*Addendum to previous post*

I had an eye doctor's appointment the other day, and it was a truly enlightening experience. I've been to the eye doctor yearly since I was like, 8, but for some reason, this visit really intrigued me...

...which brought me to my latest whim: OPTOMETRY!!!

The doctor told me that the little black specks I sometimes see in my peripheral vision are little bits of eye jelly, and if I see too many of them too often, it means my retina is detaching! FASCINATING. And here I thought all along that I was just hallucinating. I'M HOOKED!

Talk about a cool job. You don't have to sit at a desk all day. And you get to meet all sorts of people...and give them the gift of vision! How noble! And how cool would it be to laser someone's cornea?! Plus, eyes are pretty.

One downside: ophthalmology = med school = $$$ = majorly hard work = UGH. But to laser corneas... maybe it's worth it?! Or maybe I'll just settle for optometry. Decisions, decisions...

1 comment:

Kathlea said...

btw..what IS an opthamologist as opposed to an optometrist?