This month is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which is all fine and dandy, but it means LOTS of donation requests. I'm normally good at avoiding those pesky salespeople who won't give me my purchase until they've given their schpiel: "Would you please donate $5 to help underprivileged/chronically ill/orphaned children today? Your donation could save a life!" I feel a slight twinge of guilt, but convince myself that the majority of my $5 will go to the company, not the poor orphan. I smile and say "Not today, thanks!" as graciously as possible, and then make my exit.
But, a couple of weeks ago, I gave my $5 to Macy's, in the hope of finding the cure for breast cancer. It wasn't because I'm generous and philanthropic, though. It was because Macy's promised me a $10 off coupon for my next purchase of $35 or more plus a 20% discount on some other purchase. I tilted my head and thought for a second, then said "Sure, I'd love to donate $5 to breast cancer research!"
So there I was, feeling all good about myself, when I realized that I only gave because they gave me something in return. What kind of charity is that?! What kind of a horrible person am I?! Sadness... I suck!!!!
For the rest of the month, I have been giving to breast cancer every time they ask. AND I haven't been getting anything in return! Well, except for that box of chocolate cookies with the pink ribbon from Safeway...
But for reals people, here's a way to help in the fight against cancer/poverty/the Amazon/puppies/You-name-it without spending a penny! Hooray!!! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I don't know what your deal is, but I spend all day everyday trying to save illiterate amazonian puppies from the various poverty-related cancers. Out of the goodness of my heart. Maybe you're just a bad person. Oh, while we're on that topic, guess who's not going to homecoming now?
Post a Comment