Saturday, September 29, 2007

I am not a ho!

When I was in high school, I had no style. Well, I actually did have style, but it was BAD style, and I was incredibly awkward-looking to boot. I would show you a picture, but I don't have any on my computer, so you'll just have to use your imagination. But trust me, it was bad. Picture if you will: waist-high, baggy jeans; full coverage turtlenecks; braces; huge glasses; mousy, plain, dirty blonde hair; ghostly pale skin... oh yeahh, I was the wholeee package. I was also the good Christian girl, who thought parties were bad, drinking the dumbest thing ever, and any dancing other than ballet completely impure. While people weren't blatantly mean, I was picked on a good bit, and I certainly wasn't included in any particular social group. But I was fine being a floater. At least, for a while.

WELLLL... things change. I made it to senior year and decided my old look wasn't winning me any points. Even the pastor's kids looked cooler than I did. So I highlighted my hair, got contacts, joined the hip-hop dance team, discovered Mystic Tan, and gradually started to vamp up my wardrobe. This process continued and increased in extremity over the course of my college years.

I'm sure I over-compensated, but I had (and am having) the best time EVER with my sexy girls' nights out! But oddly enough, I now get picked on for being "slutty" more than I ever did for being dorky. Well, maybe not moreso, but it's weirder because I am the direct opposite of slutty... I am SUCH a prude...and definitely a dork. And there is way more to me then what shows up on Friday nights. I'm a good girl. My friends know this about me. And really, their opinions are the only ones that matter. However, even friends have, at times, been misled by the party image I have adopted of late, drawing conclusions that are simply inaccurate.

I get a lot of slack for wearing outfits like this:


And for making a spectacle out of myself like this:


And for posing with my sexy friends like this:



And people ask me, "Why do you do that?"

And I would always think hard about this, and try to come up with all these psychoanalytical explanations, and get all defensive--"It's not that bad, I'm not actually DOING anything slutty", or "Oh I sorta like the attention, this is my way of expressing myself", or "I'm insecure and this is how I feel more accepted and noticed," or "I'm a dancer and a performer and that's why I do it!" or "Even when I was little I liked to sing and dance and play dress-up!" blah blah blah... But then I got to thinking... why do I owe you an explanation? Why are you giving me such a hard time? Who cares?! Bottom line: my [highly moral & wonderfully classy] friends and I dress up and dance like crazy for one simple reason: it's fun. We're not doing anything wrong and certainly not hurting anybody. This is just our way [one way] of having fun. So leave us alone!

And believe it or not... I still have my dork wardrobe and wear it on a regular basis! Yay CAT SWEATER!

1 comment:

Loveli said...

HAHHAHAHAHA.... to the cat sweater :) bc thats just sooo nikki taylor :P