
I'm about to get on my feminist soap box again, folks.
John McCain recently selected his VP running mate, Alaska governor Sarah Palin, a woman who (despite your political leanings, you must admit) has accomplished a great deal and established herself in the political community (my sister even studied her in her left-leaning Psych of Women class.)
And yet, already, Sarah has been plastered all over tabloid magazines and trashy blogs as if she was Lindsay or Britney. I know that all the candidates have made appearances in these publications, but to my knowledge, few have been accompanied by such cheap sensational headlines like "Mother of Five: New Embarrassing Surprises," or "Sarah Palin: Babies, Lies, and Scandal." Not to mention the casual and lascivious remarks about her boobs, her "sexy" factor in general, or even the college photos of her looking like "white trash." (She looks like a normal college kid in a tee shirt to me!!!) The news about her daughter's teen pregnancy, and now her own apparent shotgun wedding, are more expected in a presidential race of course, but nevertheless still loaded with sexist implications.
First, this proves the point that attractive women will never be taken seriously and viewed as human, rather than a sex symbol, a bitch, or a trainwreck. Hillary Clinton knew this enough to minimize her own femininity, even going so far as to turn down a cover shot for the classy and iconic Vogue Magazine in an effort to distance herself from anything typically feminine. Palin was a smiley beauty queen. Let's face it... she's doomed.
Second, anything from a woman's past WILL haunt her more than anything from a man's past. People are scandalized by pictures of Palin basically wearing jammies in her college dorm room... wait till they find a picture of her in her swimsuit on spring break... OMG!!! I have a hard time thinking of any intelligent, upstanding girl from my generation who will successfully run for president unless she has avoided ever being photographed in a bikini, or even, say, a pink sundress. Why does a female leader have to look and act like a man?
Not to mention, premarital affairs and pregnancy are death sentences, making a woman "trashy" and "loose." But of course, our male presidents and wannabe-presidents never had such indiscretions *insert sarcasm here*. And if they did, luckily for them they didn't have uteruses to broadcast this to the world. Women always bear the brunt and win the "slut" title, even though it takes two to tango. It's a shame that women have to de-feminize in order to keep a man respecting her... and to help him keep his pants on.
I think the fact that Palin has accomplished so much without the privilege of having done everything perfectly, without the elitism and the wealth, and with the burdens of young pregnancy, disabled children, etc, makes her even more impressive. The fact that she also practices what she preaches and actually lives by her standards instead of just forcing them on everyone else (whether you agree with her beliefs or not), is a positive attribute I can give to very few politicians at all. She doesn't even try to cover it up. (And I give Obama, who was the product of a teen pregnancy himself, major props for standing up for her and her family, and for pointing out that those types of issues do not reflect your parenting or presidential capability.)
Sadly, many men and women still associate females with sex, emotion, vulnerability, and scandal. And they usually pay the higher price for all of the above than men do, whether it's reputation, babies, career--you name it. CNN recently published an article about the culture's obsession with female "trainwrecks," and how we love to watch women go down... especially publicly. Unfortunately, I feed into it too, reading the blogs and magazines that make their money off of women in trouble. But all it does is keep us in this rut where we will never be taken seriously as leaders, as professionals, or even as mothers. Everyone is seriously waiting for these women to fail, and hoping it happens in the most titillating way possible.
So far, it seems that Sarah Palin is their next victim.
11 comments:
Well said! I approve of your soap box....way to call out the inconsistencies :)
Nikki - this is EXACTLY how i have been feeling these past couple of days only you put it so eloquently in words! I've seen the ridiculous headlines about Palin, and her supposedly "inappropriate" pictures of her sitting on her bed in a tshirt and shorts...and its just so freaking ridiculous. It's sad that no matter how far a woman goes, no matter how hard she pushes against that glass ceiling, her gender is never left out of the question. It's absolutely absurb how EVERYTHING has to come back to Palin being a woman. McCain picked Palin to sway the women voters!! and I bet, if McCain loses...the fingers will point right back at Palin again... Palin couldn't identify with the female voters, Palin's troubles at home were causing Americans to doubt her ability as a VP (what the heck does that have to do with anything??) etc etc... what about MCCAIN?! HELLO!! Aren't we voting for the PRESIDENT here? It seems that ever since McCain announced his running mate, all eyes have shifted to Palin, and not in a way like "Oh let's get to know her and figure out her views/thoughts"... almost everything on Palin has been about her faults as a mother, her "scandals", her daughter, her pregnancy (WTH!)... It's a no win situation, esp with the media harping at her like crazed dogs.
I do not support the Republican Party, nor do I agree with Palin's views on many issues...but that does not mean that I do not feel that she is an intelligent individual who has done very well for herself despite her odds. I feel bad that our media is making her out to be just a silly woman with the most horrendous family problems when in fact...these are NORMAL problems that ANY family could possibly face these days.
Palin has accomplished a lot as an individual (NOT just as a woman), but sadly no one seems to be focusing on that aspect of her career.
okay...done with my rant :P
p.s. i knew you were always a feminist at heart :) bonni and i were right!!!
sorry to spam...but another point i wanted to make was on this whole idea that McCain could sway the female votes but having a female on the GOP ticket...
I'm sorry, but that is just the most ridiculous stream of crap I've ever heard of! I honestly don't think it was the main deciding factor of Palin as choice for running mate...but the fact that the McCain camp would even consider it is laughable. Honestly, women do have brains. Just because a female is on the GOP ticket does not mean that the women of America are going to CHANGE their beliefs/views just to go rally behind some "psuedo movement" (THANKS MCCAIN!!) that is really just acting as a huge pawn for the GOP.
The REAL movement that should be recognized by women is that there is actually a CHOICE this election. Not that the choice is a default due to our gender.
Okay...done forreal :)
I agree with Nicole. Also, the question is not whether or not she is an impressive woman. The question is whether or not we want a person from idaho and alaska to represent us. I am glad that you have realized that your playboy mansion party photos will prevent you from ever being taking seriously in your professional life...
But this was such an interesting and well put together argument. Very persuasive. You're pretty eloquent, ya know, for a chick.
I kid, but there's probably a grain of truth there...
I don't think Nikki's point was that she supports or does not support Palin... everyone is completely missing her point! I don't like Palin either, but I do think that the media should leave the irrelevent gender issues out of this election.
okay so promise...last comment... but i found a comment posted in a forum to be very interesting and telling... let me know what you think:
You all realize this is very dangerous: the Republican Party is proposing to put this woman (anti-choice, anti-gay marriage, pro-drilling, pro-guns,-- and look at her! she's a total stepford republican!), a heart attack away from being in charge of this nation! Meaning she could be the one appointing Supreme Court judges, and deciding who to go to war against! She's who would be left in charge if McCain dies or becomes incapacitated, which -- let's face it -- is statistically highly possible! Look at the man! He's already doddering.
And this, by a party that refused to vote in a law to make sure women got equal pay for jobs that men occupy, that voted in laws to protect companies that gyp women out of equal pay, that want all women to hand over the keys to their reproductive system to the government, and who actually yelled things like "IRON MY SHIRT" or "Who's taking care of your children" at other female politicians. They spit on women every day, and now they're calling people sexist for not appreciating this little woman with the bun on her head as a substitute for Hillary.
I'm not really sure what that is trying to say. it seems to imply that sexism is ingrained in Republicanism, so "how can they possibly throw around accusations like that" etc etc. There are an awful lot of strong female Republicans out there for that to be the case though, so I really don't think that's true. But, I guess if you think being pro-life, etc is sexist, then sure... but I don't think it is at all... I can go into why some other time :)
But basically, I still think the way the media (particularly pop culture media) is handling Sarah is sexist, regardless of the fact the Republicans are the ones calling them out on it (I still think this because the media I referenced and criticized in my post is focusing on salacious and irrelevant things like her dorm clothes, her daughter, "affairs", etc, NOT political controversies quite so much. She is tabloid fodder in a way that men typically are not... that remains my point.)
... but maybe it's also political bias. A lot of conservative women tend to be unpopular ;) But, so are liberal women. Basically, some people really don't like a powerful, strong minded woman, and prefer to turn them into negative female stereotypes: emotional, bitchy, slutty, whatever... and this is true in both parties.
Can anyone name a generally popular female politician, pundit, leader...? Women like Hillary, Nancy Pelosi, Ann Coulter, now Sarah Palin, and Condi Rice come to mind immediately, and I never hear anything positive about any of them, except from members of their own parties. . Everything else I'm hearing is on the bitchy/slutty line of thought...
I don't think you can leave gender issues out of the debate when the woman's own pr team are putting out descriptors like
Hockey mom, spunky, firebrand, sarah the barracuda.
They are selling a sexually stereotypical image as much as they are being harmed by other ones.
and you are incorrect about the making a big deal about the daughters pregnancies, the bush twins media reps were wrecked over DUIs or whatever it was, imagine if they (or chelsea) had been knocked up underage. I think you are being uncharitable to think that she's suffering where bill or gw would have been off the hook.
Re: Nikki
I think who ever wrote that comment was trying to get across the hypocrisy of the McCain camp complaining about sexism and acting absolutely appalled, when in fact McCain himself has opposed legislation (the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act) that would seek to offer equal pay for equal work. That is at least the part of the quote that I should have highlighted as the most "interesting" part :P And yes I agree that there are very strong Republican women out there, but that doesn't mean much (at least not to me) especially when the Republican Party has moved to block, both now and in the past, some of the most influential and dear to heart legistation for women. Just sayin' :D
Re: Robert
"They are selling a sexually stereotypical image as much as they are being harmed by other ones."
Yes - I totally agree with this. From campaign buttons that state "Hottest Governor from the Coldest State" to Giuliani blasting "how dare they question whether Sarah Palin has enough time to spend with her children and be vice president. When do they ever ask a man that question?" I guess when it helps, soak it up, but when it doesn't, point fingers!!
I just think it's interesting, if we want to keep it all on the Republican side, that Sarah Palin is being blasted all over the media about her daughter's pregnancy, her college jammies, her alleged "affairs"...but have we heard anything about McCain's extramarital affairs? Or how about the fact that he was still married to his first wife Carol when he started dating Cindy, and then later begged for a divorce from Carol so he could marry Cindy? Hmmm...definitely missed that one. All I am saying is that regardless of party affiliation, it seems (maybe thanks to Perez Hilton, and the crazed media) that the focus of this election has drastically shifted from the issues that are going to decide the direction of America for the next 4 years, to OMFG Palin's daughter is preggers and her t-shirt says she has big boobs!
Anyway, enough politics for me...it's making me depressed that I can't vote :( :(
Post a Comment