Some individuals, including presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton, are calling on the President to boycott the opening ceremonies, and others are even urging Americans to boycott the games altogether as a sign of of solidarity against Chinese policies. I'm not so sure that's a great idea. Why would we shun our very own hard-working athletes like that, at a world-recognized event that supposedly transcends politics? We showed up for the 1936 games in Nazi Germany, and again for the 1980 games in Soviet Moscow, and kicked some serious ass both times. Let's do it again! Somehow I doubt that China gives a flip if Dubya shows up anyway.
AND... if we really want to send the world a message and take a stand against China's horrific record, maybe we shouldn't be carrying out such extensive economic business with them, right...? What about THAT, Miz Clinton?!
**CORRECTION** Woops... Apparently we DID boycott the 1980 Olympics... my bad.
1 comment:
I agree...with the second part :P I do think the boycotts in China send a strong message to China about the abuse they carry out, esp in dealing with Tibet. I also think that if the US really felt so strongly against China's policies...they really should stop doing business... but sadly that isn't ever going to happen bc the US knows that China is well on its way to being a superpower, and to NOT do business with a superpower is going to severely slow down our economic growth...and some other country will get ahead in the meantime. I guess its hard to stand up for what's right when so much of what is at stake affects you :P
Post a Comment