Friday, June 26, 2009

Where Were You When... ? R.I.P. MJ

What a sad day. First Farrah Fawcett, then Michael Jackson, kick the bucket. I know millions of people all over the world die every day, under tragic circumstances, and I know we have not necessarily lost amazing role models (the latter in particular), so I feel a little silly contributing to the disproportiante despondence over these people. BUT it is equally silly to deny the huge impact that they've had on our culture, especially Michael Jackson. Sad end, to a sad life.

It's ironic, because when I first found out that Michael Jackson died, I was on my way to a dance class with an instructor who used to choreograph for MJ, and who first got me in to that style of dancing. "Thriller" and "Smooth Criminal" were two of the first songs I ever danced to in the Syndicate (W&M's hip-hop dance group, and my best college memory!) As the DJ played a megamix of his many hits, which included my dance favorites and many other memorable tunes, I actually started getting emotional... and I never even followed MJ much!

Like my sister said, everyone has an MJ memory. Hopefully he is happier now, wherever he is.

No comments: