I feel like the longer I've been out of school, the dumber I get. This sucks, because I really like knowing stuff.Last month I volunteered to judge the Chantilly High School Science Fair and was blown away by what those kids know. What blew me away even more was the realization that, once upon a time, I too knew physics, calculus, and trigonometry.
How did I get to a point where all day long I stare at a computer screen like a zombie?! Reading lists of acronyms?! Entering edits into a spreadsheet???? I don't use any of the skills I used in school, and while my people, computer, and social skills are exponentially growing as I get older, my intellect is shrinking. I feel I reached my peak in 10th grade (when I read through encyclopedias for fun) and it's been downhill ever since. Now it's not even forced down my throat, like in college :)
It makes me annoyed that I slacked off so much in college... but even with that, I still got some brain exercise. I analyzed (even if it was last minute at 2 o'clock in the morning.) I read books with deep meanings and hard words. I gave presentations on tough issues and scientific phenomena.
I am getting frustrated with my lack of intellectual stimulation. Maybe I should learn a foreign language (or brush up on the ones I already supposedly know.) Read some Shakespeare. Study some economic theories. Watch those dorky Western Civ DVDs my dad bought. Buy a map and learn the world capitals... and an interesting fact about each.
Any other suggestions on how to expand my mind and get some brain juices flowing??
2 comments:
My suggestion is become a self-learner. Read books that are slightly different from that kitty book :P
I was thinking about taking Italian at NOVA! :) It sounds like such a fun and cute (and kinda sappy romantic) language!
Post a Comment