Saturday, January 10, 2009

My Beef With Chick Flicks

Okay... I don't mean to overanalyze books and movies designed primarily for laughs... and I totally have no problem watching one from time to time.. .but I really need to get something off my chest.

I just saw Bride Wars, the new Kate Hudson/Anne Hathaway movie that can join the other pile of chick crap that gets me all flustered sitting in the theater. It had a few LOL moments, but in general--what a waste. I expected it to some degree, but honestly, if I see one more movie that highlights and perpetuates negative female stereotypes, I'm enrolling in film school and making my own.

Bride Wars portrays women as desperate, catty shrews who will kick their best friends to the curb for the sake of clothes, jewelry, status, and men. Sure, the two protagonists kiss and make up in the end, but not after entertaining throngs of moviegoers with plenty of immature bitchiness and psychotic episodes.

Almost every female character in the movie represented a different stereotype, from the woman who hated the fact that her friend would have a "better" wedding than her, to the woman counting on future divorces for more money, to the woman who really DID care that her best friend got the proposal first ("Oh no, seriously I am so happy for you, I'm not upset!" *gulps two pints of Ben & Jerry's.*) Even Kate Hudson's character has to stalk her boyfriend at the office and beg him to propose. These are ADULT women still reveling in middle/high school style drama.

If women are like that in real life (which I assume they are, since something inspires this crap and magazines like Cosmo even write about it), then we need some serious help. The desperation in every character made me paranoid (just for a second) that if I'm not settled and married before age 30, it's all over for me and I will die miserable, ugly, and alone. The only characters I could stand in the whole movie were the men, as they helplessly watched their fiancees lose it while they prepared to pledge their lives to each other.

I don't know why people so enjoy story lines that pit women against each other, but that seems to be the hot commodity these days. Movies like Bride Wars, Clueless, and Sex and the City, reality shows like Top Model and Rock of Love, chick-lit like Shopaholic (sorry Wendz!) and Bergdorf Blondes, and even songs like Beyonce's "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" reduce women to fashion, cat fights, and/or men.

And THEN we wonder why men don't respect us! I certainly don't want a man to reduce me to shoes and a clicking biological clock.

Can't we get some female role models who emphasize something other than Prada and Prince Charming? Women who won't go to extreme lengths to get the bag or the man? Women who develop character, intellect, career, family, and actual mature relationships? Fashion and (unfortunately) petty drama is a part of life too, but the role it has taken in our culture and daily lives concerns me, especially as it weaves its way through popular entertainment, ripe for the next generation of women to emulate.

We need more movies like "Little Women," "Anna and the King", "Contact," or even "Devil Wears Prada." But I guess a strong, smart woman isn't as entertaining as a cat fight between two glamazons.

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

Put me in the label of chick flick characters because I am totally going to wait until all my friends get married so I can have a better wedding than them.

I kid...I kid..but just a little bit.

Loveli said...

Okay, I gotta defend Shopaholic here. I don't know if you've read the entire series but Becky Bloomwood is not a female character supported entirely around the notion of shopping, bags and shoes!! :(

She actually (according to the storyline) graduated with an Accounting degree and got her masters. She also co-hosts her financial radio show and is a very independent woman who doesn't take smack from her boyfriend/fiance/husband Luke. In fact, at one point in the series, she tells Luke that he better not expect her to stay at home and just cook his meals for him (which is truly the point where I fell in love with her). She just has a bit of a shopping problem :) which I can TOTALLY relate to!

Nikki - you know that I have a shopping problem ;) and yes it for the most part gets the better of me, but you also know that I have a life outside of shopping. That I'm educated, I have a career, and I would like to think that I'm a pretty strong woman :) well that's like Becky!! I AM BECKY!!! ahahhaa... so yeah...take Shopaholic off your list because its doesn't corner women into the dumb chick role with no substance.

Now the movie...I'm not sure about that because Hollywood has a rep for effing things up :)

(wow...you would have thought Becky was a real live person or my BFF the way I defended her...lol)

Nikki said...

HAHAHA...

okay you win. I pre-emptively judged. I've never finished Shopaholic... I just couldn't get past the first chapter ;)

BEX!!!

<3 Suze

Loveli said...

P.S.

You spelled BERGDORF wrong!!!!

OMFG nikki.

are we really friends?

Nikki said...

oy vey.

FIXED!!!

lol.

Unknown said...

Where have I heard this rant before??

ps...the explanation for these movies and tv shows is not that most women must really be that extreme--or where would the inspiration come from?? The sad fact is: some women are and they are the ones that stand out in a crowd...and not in a good way. Just like badass, womanizing, sex-obsessed men.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://seghan.ru/go.php?sid=35][img]http://s002.radikal.ru/i200/1001/f0/0ddd2280d906.jpg[/img][/url]












[url=http://mlwqdwu.xn--baldmglichst-8ib.de/]buy used cigarette boats europe [/url]
buying marlboro cigarettes in foreign markets where to buy camel cigarettes will smokers buy price value cigarettes
[url=http://tioozua.connection24.de/]buy canada cigarettes [/url]
where to buy cigarette rolling machine order cheap cigarette buy indonesian cigarettes
[url=http://uvfaquc.akzentuiert.de/sitemap.html]buying european cigarettes online [/url]
buy cigarettes under 18 order electric cigarette buy market cigarettes online
[url=http://botziho.485.at/]buying cigarette [/url]
buy pall mall cigarettes online buy cigarettes internet how to buy cigarettes cheaper
[url=http://cauvzah.weinend.de/]buy name brand discount cigarettes [/url]
where to order cigarettes online buy cigarettes on the buy discount cigarettes fraud
[url=http://mlwqdwu.xn--baldmglichst-8ib.de/sitemap.html]order cigarettes from delaware [/url]
buy cigarette loads buy euro cigarettes buy parliament cigaretts online
[url=http://mlwqdwu.xn--baldmglichst-8ib.de/]buy tobacco buy cigarettes online seneca [/url]
e cigarette where to buy it buy barclay cigarettes buy camel robust cigarette cartons
[url=http://tioozua.connection24.de/]buy cigarettes in va [/url]
buy cigarettes in salamanca ny buy old gold cigarettes online buy cigarettes online for 10.00$
[url=http://mlwqdwu.xn--baldmglichst-8ib.de/]buy marlboro cigarettes cheap [/url]
buy export a cigarettes buy cigarettes in new buy cheap cigarettes in ireland
[url=http://vjzvmeu.il.gp/sitemap.html]buy flavored cigarette [/url]
order cigarettes online canada buy electronic cigarette uk buying cigarettes in united states

Anonymous said...

[url=http://seghan.ru/go.php?sid=2][img]http://banners.servized.com/current/gif/ed_720x90_1.gif[/img][/url]

[url=http://old-drugstore.net/]What is/are Zovirax Tablets?[/url]
What are acyclovir tablets or capsules?
ACYCLOVIR (Zovirax®) treats unerring types of viral infections, specifically herpes infections. Acyclovir
determination not panacea herpes infections; it choice help the sores mend faster and workers to release the annoyance or discomfort.
Every once in a while acyclovir is given to help avert the infection from coming back. Acyclovir also treats shingles
and chickenpox infections. Generic acyclovir tablets and capsules are available.

What should I communicate my well-being distress provider in the vanguard I take this medicine?
They destitution to know if you comprise any of these conditions:

•dehydration
•neurological infection
•kidney disease
•seizures (convulsions)
•an unprecedented or allergic retaliation to acyclovir, ganciclovir, valacyclovir, valganciclovir, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
•significant or trying to get in a family way
•breast-feeding



[url=http://best-drugstore.aoaoaxxx.ru/][img]http://i079.radikal.ru/0910/b9/3f666eb40896.jpg[/img][/url]
























[url= ]purchase Zovirax Kelownapurchase Zovirax Abbotsford [/url]
purchase Zovirax Kamloopspurchase Zovirax Nanaimo
[url= ]purchase Zovirax Prince Georgepurchase Zovirax Chilliwack [/url]
purchase Zovirax Vernonpurchase Zovirax Courtenay
[url= ]purchase Zovirax Calgarypurchase Zovirax Edmonton [/url]
purchase Zovirax Red Deerpurchase Zovirax Lethbridge
[url= ]purchase Zovirax Winnipegpurchase Zovirax Australia [/url]
purchase Zovirax Austriapurchase Zovirax Argentina
[url= ]purchase Zovirax Belgiumpurchase Zovirax Bulgaria [/url]
purchase Zovirax Brasiliapurchase Zovirax Great britain
[url= ]purchase Zovirax Hungarypurchase Zovirax Germany [/url]
how to Find buy Zovirax onlinebuy brand Zovirax usa online pharmacy
[url= ]buy Zovirax pill onlinebuy Zovirax kaufen [/url]
Zovirax buyingpurchase Zovirax
[url= ]insurance buy ZoviraxZovirax no prescription [/url]
Zovirax storegenaric buy Zovirax
[url= ]buy Zovirax cheap us pharmacyZovirax prescriptions [/url]
pills ZoviraxZovirax min price
[url= ]free buy Zoviraxreply how to get sample buy Zovirax online [/url]
Find cheap Zovirax cod next dayZovirax