We finally wrapped up one of the most exciting elections in American history yesterday. By "exciting," I mean tumultuous and divided, but also very progressive--given that both black and female individuals were among the candidates, opening a whole new socio-cultural dimension to further explore.Americans elected our first African-American president, an enormously symbolic step in the assertion that all men (and women) ARE created equal and can achieve anything in this great country. I did not vote for Obama for a number of reasons, but I have to say I have not seen Americans (not to mention the whole world) so mobilized, inspired, and hopeful since September 11th... and that was unification over tragedy. So this is pretty damn exciting, no matter where you fall on the political spectrum. It is refreshing to see patriotism and positive energy fill our citizens again. It is also apparent we are about to enter a new era--both domestically and internationally. The impact is truly global, and I am inspired and proud to be an American too! I wish I did trust and agree with Obama more, because I like the way he talks :)
That being said, I am a little put off by two things.
- The over-emphasis on race ("Don't worry McPalinites, at least he's half-white," "Finally, a BLACK president!", "Proud of my country for the first time in a long time, my president is black!", "McCain followers = Lynch Mob 2008" etc. etc).
One commentator on the omnipresent discussion forum that is Facebook posed the interesting question: "How much different would a presidential race be if you never saw the candidates on TV before the election, but you just heard their issues?
Troubling topic 2:
- The near deification of Obama, and the certainty that he will "save" the country from the "dark era" of the Bush Administration.
But the level of adoration makes me a little nervous. I mean, let's be honest here... he hasn't even DONE anything yet. His previous political record is too new to really show much. I feel we may be getting ahead of ourselves. Overconfidence is as dangerous as excessive cynicism; giving too much credit is as bad as casting all the blame on one person. I'm not sure how he handles the pressure! He's got a lot of people counting on him to fix things.
Let's hope this "new era" is a good one, and extends beyond the rush everyone is experiencing right now.
Anyhoo, those are just my random reactions. Definitely an exciting race, full of fascinating and frank discussions, crazy feuds, and intellectual musing. Gotta love being in a country where you can do that though, right? :)
Yayy USA!
Yayy President Obama!


9 comments:
BOO.
Obama, regardless of what policies he hopes to bring to this nation, represents that a majority of Americans cannot stand the way Republicans have run our nation. This disgust has trumped racial mistrust, national security fears, moral questions. To me, more than anything, it was just a vote that meant we as a nation squarely, and over large amounts of reservations, some valid and some not, voted to turn an about face and let the pendulum swing in the opposite direction.
And Obama's background that you mistrust so much rings truer to my own than any candidate I've ever met, from his international heritage, belief in cool-headed rationality, his commitments, the company he keeps, his ideals, and identity issues. It was like hearing someone who lived a life story similar to my own who did everything right, and got what he deserved, reaching what he was capable of...
Which used to be a very Republican narrative, but I guess that's just another value that the party as a whole seems to have lost sight of as well...
And of course I voted Obama-Warner, but on the house level I went with Rob Wittman, who while a jackass, is an excellent, well-educated, effective local administrator with a good history in my area going back 20 years in Montross (next town over from Colonial Beach).
He voted against the bailout, which is more than I can say about McCain, who on principle alone should have opposed it.
I'm really curious though as to what you are afraid of obama doing? Is he going to give our nuclear weapons to Iran and dissolve the military? Give away your hard earned new income to a poor jobless bum like myself who is clamoring for a handout? End Capitalism? Do we "not know him and what he represents enough to be comfortable?"
Or (seriously) , maybe he might re-establish civil rights at the expense of the false 'security' of the past 8 years of Patriot act era policies?
When Republicans decided that having a functioning brain made you at odds with "the vast majority of americans" and even went anti-intellectual amongst their own ranks, they dug their own graves.
Viva Obama.
I knew you would vote McCain, but I'm still mildly creeped out by it. What is a stated McCain policy that is of such significance that it makes him preferable to Obama? not credentials or "at least you know where he stands", just one particular item that he has said he would do that represents a better policy proposal than one of obama's... I know Obama does confuse the subject for us simple folk because he's just so damned... articulate. Anxiously awaiting your reply,
Sincerely, your mildly deranged, split ticket voting left leaning libertarian pal.
YAY OBAMA! :)
I'm so excited he won. I think it will be a nice change from the past 8 years of conservatives running the country! A nice fresh start, and a tremendous change!
lol... Rob... comparing your beliefs, backgrounds, and associations to Obama's isn't helping your case much... because I could never elect you president. And I mean that with all the love and affection in the world :)
I'm a huge a huge fan of the Pendulum Theory too. It's definitely a democratic year. I think my overall attitude is fairly supportive and hopeful considering he wasn't my candidate thankyouverymuch. :P
I have an identity that is as valid and acceptable for any other person to claim full rights and responsibilities as a citizen of the U.S. such as the right to fully participate in the political process, up to and including running for elected office.
To deny that is to claim that America is more equal for some than for others, no?
Just because I wouldn't, and would never be elected should not now mean than all people who share certain biographical or trivial passing resemblance to features of my life should be similarly precluded.
Do you think someone like you could grow up to be president of the U.S.?
Oh and quick question Nikki, since I'm currently arguing about this with someone right now... Should an atheist or a muslim be allowed to be president? And if not, what is the part of that particular identity that prevents them from being just as patriotic from the next guy? If its not a dealbreaker, is it a pro or a con in the argument column? Give a totally honest answer.
And Nikki, I just realized it, but I'm fairly saddened, you responded with an ad hominem attack on myself. Tsk Tsk. Even though it was very nice.
I doubt Barack Obama has ever endorsed anything about what I represent, and should not be judged by you as such any more than the fact that Kenyans like him.
And you didn't answer my McCain question either.
P.S. our attitude is supportive because you are right-centrist who tries to avoid confrontation (for psychological rather than political motivations).
Thankyouverymuch
Rob, maybe we should be talking over the phone, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Of course anyone can run for anything they want, I just wouldn't vote for you. You wouldn't vote for me! We're different!
It's my characteristics you've routinely called disgusting, disturbing, etc... and you just said my vote this year was "creepy" and basically bashed all my opinions to the ground... and I didn't even state most of them!
AND... my blog wasn't about why I voted for McCain, it's about my thoughts on Obama--not his politics, but his victory (the aftermath that is). I could write a more political blog if you'd like, but it's probably all stuff you've heard before and already decided is not legitimate. But basically, I'm just not quite that leftist.
And maybe my attitude is supportive because I'm over all the drama and ready to support our prez :P
nikki~~
I immensely enjoyed our gchat conversation and reading your blog. I'd have to say your a better person than I because a part of me wanted to immediately start making "Not my President" signs as the opposition did 4 years ago. But alas, I restained myself lest I get stoned for being a racist despite the fact that I'm a minority and an immigrant; that coupled with enough patriotism to show somewhat decency to the man who will lead our country, whether he deserves it or not.
I truely do hope that you are right in being optimistic but maybe a more realistic hope is that the country will rectify itself at the next congressional elections in 2 years.
Long live the forefathers' dreams. ^o~
lol Na Yung... yeah I have way more frank things to say too (per our convo the other day) but I'm definitely trying to be optimistic ... and patriotic... and a wee bit politically correct... just so I'm not called a racist... y'know... since I am the white one after all haha :(
"No one should be afraid of being called racist unless one has racist things to say."
I would like to point out that this was stolen from ME. :) so therefore i somewhat contributed to this thread as well :P
anyways...like you said nikki, united we stand :) we are all going to have differing views no matter what. Trying to fight a battle with the "opposing side" on completely different battle grounds and levels isn't going to work bc different people value different things and no matter how founded and well thought out your arguments are, it's just not going to matter to the next person because they are not you... which is OKAY :) (well to some...to others...lol not so much)
Either way, my respect goes out to you because you are so positive about the results of this election even though it didn't go the way you had hoped for. That IS the patriotic and responsible thing to do and unfortunately most people can't see or understand that (and this is coming from your commie friend :D) so BRAVO NIKKI!
Post a Comment